2009年6月7日日曜日

HOMEWORK - Feelings

1.ARE FEELINGS, EMOTIONS AND FACIAL EXPRSSIONS UNIVERSAL ACROSS BORDERS, HAPPY, SAD, ETC..?
These have no borders wheather or not our nationality, native language, rerigion..etc are different, everyone have feelings and emotions. But like when people feel sadness or happiness is not same each people. Thus it is not easy that we tell our own real feelings others and that we understand others' own feelings.

2.TRY TO NAME AS MANY FEELINGS AS POSSIBLE IN JAPANESE. THEN, WRITE THE ENGLISH TRANSLATION.
さみしい ― lonely      うれしい ― happy
つかれた ― tired      つらい ― bitter
落ち着く ― calm      心地良い ― comfortable
眠たい ― sleepy      腹ペコ ― hungly
不安 ― timid        くやしい ― frustrated

3.ARE THERE ANY FEELINGS IN JAPANESE THAT CANNOT BE TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH?
たいぎい (Hiroshima Dialect)
I think that it cannot be taranslated into English and standard Japanese as well.

12 件のコメント:

  1. hi becky!
    Yes!! たいぎい is also one of the word I cannot translate into English!! it's not meaning of tired is it?

    返信削除
  2. Hello becky:-)

    I agree with you.
    It is very difficult to translate dialect into English.

    Also to translate Japanese emotional words into English is difficult too.

    返信削除
  3. Hi becky!!
    I think たいぎい means like めんどうくさい.
    So, it's a little similar to "What a bother!"
    How do you think??

    返信削除
  4. Hello, Becky:D

    I think so, too.
    たいぎい is difficult to translate into English.
    I think that it can't show one word.
    たいぎい means like 面倒くさい or うざい or むかつく...
    Some feelings are blended in this word.

    返信削除
  5. Hello:) Becky

    I sure to たいぎい equal to めんどうくさい。


    Then, I think these words are difficult to translate into Engish, such as ただいま, おかえり and いってきますso on. It is so funny.

    返信削除
  6. hi Becky.
    I also think it is difficult for us to tell our own real feelings others and to understand their feelings, especially with foreigner.

    返信削除
  7. hey becky :)

    yeah, it's difficult to transtlate たいぎい into English cuz it has many meanings.
    but at the same time, it's very useful for us word to express our feelings,right??

    返信削除
  8. Hello!! Becky.
    I agree with you.
    I think Dialect of Japanese is difficult to translate into English ,too.

    返信削除
  9. Hi!
    I agree with you.
    A dialect is difficult to translate in Japanese for Japanese people, so it is more difficult to translate into English.

    返信削除
  10. Hi!
    I think, the point of translating dialect is to express how you `feel`, not just translate perfectly same. isn`t it?

    返信削除
  11. I am very sorry but I have misplaced the sign-up sheet with the volunteers names and email addresses on it. If you signed up to make potato salad, set-up, cook/serve food, or clean up, please leave me a comment!

    返信削除
  12. Please meet at the bbq tent in front of the church at 11:30. Thank you very much!

    返信削除